Location: North Vancouver, BC
Closing Date: May 30th, 2012
Curator required for one six week exhibition at the Seymour Art Gallery from July 30th to September 8th, 2013. The exhibition must be curated with art/artist’s concept and rationale highly developed with supporting material or context and to standards expected for a successful application of a BC Arts Council Project Grant. Solo or small group exhibition with no constraints on media; modest installation costs to fit our limited budget.
Board of DirectorsSeymour Art Gallery 4360 Gallant Avenue North Vancouver, BC V7G 1L2 (604) 924.1378 <http://www.privatedaddy.com/?q=aHpDTUJGQGV5OT9WSFBgGBpGaHlHLx8UEn1MZXJO_19>
Deadline for application, with cover letter: May 30th, 2012
Interviews and selection of the successful applicant: June 4-6th, 2012.
Seymour Art Gallery recently completed a 5 year Strategic Planning Process (a complete strategic plan is posted on the Gallery’s website). One of the directions in the Strategic Plan was to raise artistic and curatorial standards of some exhibitions, while retaining other more community oriented exhibitions and annual exhibitions. There was a decision to start with one more highly curated exhibition in 2011, and increase the number of such exhibitions in subsequent years, and seek BC Arts Council funding for at least one such exhibition per year starting in 2012. The special exhibition for which we are seeking a Guest Exhibition Curator is envisaged as one of two such exhibitions in 2013.
Check Seymour Art Gallery website for: Gallery Floor Plan, other Gallery exhibitions and Strategic Plan
Select and dialogue with artist/s
Undertake all necessary research
Coordinate with and obtain approval by the Gallery’s Curatorial Committee
Generate associated educational materials (handout or publication)
Generate and make all arrangements for associated events (2 times during the 6-week run of the exhibition) which could consist of an artist talk, curator talk or performance type event
Oversee installation in coordination with the Gallery Coordinator and our crew of installation volunteers
Coordinate preparation of advertising and promotional material with the Gallery Coordinator
(If requested by the Gallery, prepare substantive portions of grant applications to BC Arts Council and other funding agency/s, for an additional fee)
Qualifications, Skills and Experience Preferred:
- A post secondary fine arts degree
- Curatorial experience
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Exemplary knowledge of contemporary art practices
- Strong organizational and management skills
- CV including educational and relevant employment background
- Preliminary ideas for a suitable exhibition/s
- Three personal references
- Outline descriptions of previous exhibitions curated
- Experience in successful grant writing (especially for BCAC project assistant grants)
- Demonstrated understanding of Seymour Art Gallery, its core audience and specifics of our current situation
- Confirmation of availability and ability to meet our time constraints
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.